Saturday, July 19, 2008

sammich time!

Who doesn't love sandwiches? Really. Great for a light dinner on a warm summer evening. This was probably the most time consuming meal I've ever put together for myself and myself alone. Making a main course and several side dishes is common place when cooking with friends. When I'm flying solo, however, I tend to stick with a one pot straightforward meal with minimal dishes and prep time. So tonight was special.To start, I put together a hodge-podge marinade based off a recipe in Vegan with a Vengeance for the tempeh. While that was stewing, I put together the potato salad. The potatoes, carrots, peas, and scallions were all from my neighborhood farmer's market. Turmeric adds to flavor as well as giving it a nice color. The green beans were the easiest part. Chop the stems, a little olive oil, onion, and garlic, and saute them up. Green beans are one of my favorite veggies when they're fresh, so I tend to keep the garnish minimal.A quick look at the tempeh post marinade and post cooking.
The sandwich has tempeh, tomato, avocado, vegannaise, brown mustard, and some of that homemade pesto. The intense grill marks are a product of the "Lean Mean Fat-Grilling Machine" my parents gave me when I moved out. Although it's not grilling up any fat, it is great for hot sandwiches; not to mention important grill marks.

Let's be honest, this was a pretty kick-ass dinner. When the rest of my vegan posse returns from vacation, we will have to do hot sandwiches again.

No comments: